Thursday, 15 August 2013

Woden and the Wolf Hammer



I have discussed the Icelandic Wolf Hammer in previous articles on my Die Armanenschaft der Ario-Germanen blog:

The Icelandic Wolf Hammer[27/5/12]
Further Reflections on the Icelandic Wolf`s Hammer[10/3/13]
Thor`s Hammer and the Indo-European Tarot[[7/4/13]

Recently I began to reflect on the significance of the beast`s head at the top of the hammer. Some consider this to be a dragon, others a wolf. If one accepts this to be a wolf then there is a clear association with Woden as the God of the Hanged who was accompanied by His wolves, Freki and Geri. The wolf along with the raven is clearly associated with this God. The wolfhead of the hammer reminds us that we are at the moment as followers of Woden to be regarded as wolfheads.

The shape of the Wolf Hammer reminds us that Woden hung Himself upon the world tree for 9 nights in order to acquire the mysteries of the runes. It is generally considered that He hung upside down:

"I know that I hung on a windy tree nine long nights, wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin, myself to myself, on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run."No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn, downwards I peered; I took up the runes, screaming I took them, then I fell back from there."[Havamal, Poetic Edda]

The shape of the hammer is not entirely unique as the Danish Laby hammer has a similar apparent inverted 
cross form; almost T-shaped. The Wolf Hammer resembles very closely the form of the Judge`s gavel and one could consider it the most hammer like of hammers for most other Thors Hammers resemble more the axe which it took its form from. The arms of the Wolf Hammer are rounded as one would expect in this type of hammer. We should remember that the All-Thing was dedicated to Thunor and so Thunor has this function of presiding-like Tiw and the Frisian Fosite over legal proceedings.

The statue of Thor from Eyraland is more or less contemporary with the Wolf Hammer and the shape of the hammer which Thor is grasping in both hands is practically the same as the Wolf Hammer. Clearly Thor would not be grasping a xtian cross so this adds further weight to the heathen nature of the Wold Hammer.

No comments: